Jaw Pain and Headache Relief
Dr Darfoor has had extensive training on treating complex dental problems associated with the jaw joint and bite. This is often called ‘occlusal disease’.
- Clicking or grating noises on jaw movement
- Difficulty opening or closing your mouth
- Swelling or tenderness over the joint
- Headaches and migraines, especially first thing in the morning
- Pain in the face, neck and chewing muscles. Pain may also be felt in the shoulders and neck
- Pain in your ear, possibly with ringing noises
Common causes of these problems are stress and grinding of teeth at night, which are more apparent nowadays. Careful planning and analysis is required with treatment designed around your individual needs. Often an occlusal splint (nightguard) is the first line solution. This is carefully manufactured and adjusted over a period of time to relax the muscles and place the jaw joint in a comfortable position.
Once the pain has resolved over a prolonged period, certain restorative and/or orthodontic treatment may be required as a long term measure to prevent future problems. This would be carefully planned and treatment would depend on the severity of the initial problem.